Understanding West Virginia Auto Insurance

There comes a point in time when most individuals have to pull out their insurance cards. Whether accessing your insurance card is necessary for proof of insurance before a speeding ticket or after an accident, the insurance card provides certain protections in the event of an accident or incident. If you or your loved one has been injured in an accident or incident in the state of West Virginia, contact an experienced attorney to represent your interests. For a risk-free initial consultation, contact Colombo Law today.

Minimum Policy Limits

In nearly every state, laws regulate how much insurance motorists must maintain to protect others in the event of an accident. In West Virginia, the minimum amount of insurance a policyholder must maintain is $20,000 for bodily injury and $10,000 for property damage:

  • Bodily injury coverage will pay for any injuries to individuals in your car or the other motorists’ car. For any one person, the maximum amount of insurance is up to $20,000. The total maximum for all persons injured in a single accident is $40,000.
  • Property damage coverage will pay for any damage to property as a result of the accident. Property damage may include other vehicles, belongings in the vehicle, or another’s mailbox, home, or business. The maximum amount of payout for property damage in a single accident is $10,000.

Generally, only at-fault parties will rely on their insurance to pay out a claim. However, there are many instances in which the responsible party does not carry insurance despite the obligation to do so under the law. West Virginia also prepares motorists for these scenarios by requiring all motorists to obtain uninsured motorists coverage. This allows injured parties to file an insurance claim against their own insurance to obtain the coverage they might desperately need.

If you have been hospitalized in the past, you know how quickly medical bills can add up. In cases of serious accidents, the minimum amount of coverage does not always cover all of the property damage or bodily injury that occurs. That is why it is beneficial to obtain more insurance than the minimum amount under state law. If you have been injured in an accident, and the responsible party’s insurance did not pay for all of your damages, then you need an attorney to assist you in recovering the remainder of your damages.

Contact Colombo Law

Our attorneys are highly experienced car accident lawyers who successfully handle hundreds of personal injury claims each year. We will consult with you for free about your situation. Call us at 304-599-4229 and talk to a lawyer today.

Colombo Law assists clients located in and around West Virginia including in Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Bridgeport, Kingwood, Grafton, Weston, Philippi, Buckhannon, Elkins, Parkersburg, Monongalia, Marion, Harrison, Preston, Taylor, and Lewis county. If you have been injured in an accident or incident but are unsure of whether you have a personal injury claim, contact Colombo Law today for a risk-free initial consultation to get you or your loved one the assistance that is deserved.

by Colombo Law
Last updated on - Originally published on