Motorcyclists are entitled to the same rights as every other motorist in Columbus. When a motorcyclist is injured in an accident, the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are here to provide experienced, caring, and aggressive legal representation for them. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Columbus, we will work on your behalf to obtain compensation for the damages you’ve sustained.
We provide legal representation to accident victims throughout Ohio from our office in Columbus. We take pride in helping victims of accidents get their lives back in order. We have many resources that we will use to help your case be successful and will stop at nothing to ensure that your rights are protected.
Why You Need a Columbus Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Columbus that was someone else’s fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. However, instead of focussing on the legal process, you need to be focused on your recovery and healing from your accident. Colombo Law is here to take the burden of the legal process off of your shoulders. While you concentrate on healing, we will take on the numerous inconveniences of dealing with insurance companies and other entities, so you don’t have to.
Colombo Law takes pride in treating all of our clients with compassion and respect. This includes keeping you informed, answering your questions, and acting in your best interest throughout the entirety of your case. For your convenience, we will schedule an initial consultation at our office, or we will come to you. This initial consultation is free, so you will not have to feel obligated to us. If you choose to retain us as legal counsel, our services to you will be contingent, meaning that you will not have to pay us a thing if we don’t win your case.
Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Ohio
Unfortunately, motorcyclists have garnered a bad reputation when it comes to their behaviors on the road. They are often regarded as daredevils and speed demons, and insurance companies often won’t view them in a positive light. In many cases, even when the motorcyclist is the victim, they will often try to place blame on them for an accident. In many cases, this is false.
Many motorcycle accidents are caused due to a driver who did not see the biker. This often happens when cars are turning left at an intersection. Motorcyclists are also struck in intersections who fail to observe their right of way. This can cause serious injuries and often leads to death.
Other common causes of motorcycle accidents in Columbus include:
- Distracted drivers causing accidents
- Reckless driving or speeding by another motorist
- Road defects such as potholes, gravel, and debris
- Defective motorcycles and motorcycle products
Ohio Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The Ohio State Highway Patrol does a phenomenal job keeping detailed records of accident statistics year in and year out.
- Out of the 305,000 accidents that occurred in Ohio in 2016, 4,235 of them involved a motorcyclist.
- Of these 4,235 accidents, 202 of them caused death to the motorcyclist.
- 3,500 rider experienced serious injuries.
- The age group that was deadliest was ages 21-25 with 469 people being involved in a motorcycle accident in 2016.
- Alcohol was a factor in 12.3% of riders who were involved in a fatal crash.
- Only 40% of riders who were involved in an accident in Ohio in 2016 were wearing a helmet.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Often, motorcyclists feel a rightful sense of independence while they are traveling down the road. However, this sense of independence can often turn dangerous in the blink of an eye. Motorcyclists are at much greater risk of death in a crash as compared to other motor vehicles. In fact, bikers are nearly five times more likely to be seriously injured in an accident than car occupants. Motorcyclists are subject to the following serious injuries in accidents:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Brain injuries are one of the most common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents. With or without a helmet, a biker who suffers a blow to the head can experience concussions, brain bleeds, partial and permanent brain damages, and death.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – The forces put on a human body in the midst of a motorcycle accident are often too much to bear When the body is exposed to the violence of a motorcycle accident, the spinal cord is often affected. Spinal cord injuries from motorcycle accidents can cause partial or complete paralysis. Victims of paralysis have to endure expensive treatments and rehabilitation for the rest of their lives.
- Internal Organ Damage – Damage to internal organs can be caused by blows to the chest or abdomen. These are also known as “crushing injuries” as they often break bones which then puncture vital organs like the lungs or spleen.
- Injuries to The Lower Body – Injuries to the lower extremities are also common in motorcycle accidents. Broken hips, smashed kneecaps, broken legs, and broken pelvis’ can occur, as well as torn ligaments and tendons.
- Loss of Limbs – Amputation is often the result of injuries that prove no other medical option in motorcycle accidents. This could be due to limbs being crushed or severely torn in the wreckage.
You can find out more about how to prevent a motorcycle accidents and injuries here.
Compensation for Motorcycle Accident Victims
Everyone who is operating a motor vehicle on a public road in Ohio has a legal obligation to uphold a duty of care toward others. If this duty of care is breached and results in a person sustaining injuries, Ohio personal injury law allows an injured victim to recover compensation for their damages from the negligent party.
Because most car owners only buy the minimum amount of liability insurance, motorcyclists who have damages that exceed the at-fault party’s insurance coverage should hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. Depending on the circumstances surrounding an accident, other coverages may be available to provide additional compensation.
Insurance companies strive to pay as little for accident claims as they can to improve their bottom line. Obtaining a proper amount of compensation from them almost always requires the help and knowledge of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
The personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law will help you pursue compensation for your motorcycle accident in the following ways:
- We will investigate your motorcycle accident and identify all parties who may be at fault.
- We will identify applicable insurance coverages held by liable parties.
- We will identify the losses you have incurred.
- Medical costs
- Vehicle repair
- Lost income
- Rehabilitation costs
- Pain and suffering
- We will file your claim with the liable insurance company and seek maximum compensation on your behalf.
Once an insurer receives your motorcycle accident claim from us, we will then work diligently to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. If we are not able to come to an agreement with the insurance company, we are not afraid to further pursue a claim on your behalf in court.
Comparative Negligence and Columbus Motorcycle Accidents
When thinking about bringing a motorcycle accident claim, it is important to note that damages awarded to a plaintiff in a claim can be reduced based on the percentage of fault they hold in the accident. If a plaintiff has responsibility for an accident, a jury will assign a fault percentage to them. If a plaintiff is found to be more than 50% at-fault for an accident, then no damages will be awarded.
At Colombo Law, We Have Your Back After a Motorcycle Accident in Columbus
The motorcycle accident lawyers at Colombo Law in Columbus are attentive and dedicated to helping those who have suffered serious injuries in an accident. We believe that you deserve to be fairly compensated for your injuries and will do our best to ensure you do not get an unfair settlement from the insurance company. We are experienced in representing motorcycle accident victims across Ohio and will provide you with the representation of the highest quality.
Contact us today for a no-obligation initial discussion of your motorcycle accident. We will handle your case on a contingency fee basis, so you will not pay unless we win your case.