Too often, clients come to us after an accident worried about their financial future and tired of being bullied by greedy insurance companies. The problem is that insurance companies aren’t interested in being fair or honorable. Their only goal is to pay you as little as possible in the hopes you’ll give up and go away. If you have been injured in an accident due to another person’s negligence contact the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law so we can help you pursue compensation for your injuries.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Morgantown, WV
The Morgantown personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law aren’t willing to let our clients – our neighbors – be treated this way. We will stand up and we will fight for injured victims who need our help. So, whether you’ve been in a car accident, truck accident, a work-related accident, or suffered some other kind of personal injury, don’t give up hope. Find out if you have a case by contacting the personal injury lawyers Colombo Law and scheduling your free, no obligation consultation.
Morgantown Personal Injury Practice Areas
We strive to provide excellent service to the victims of a variety of personal injuries, including:
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury attorney is your legal advocate. It is their job to advocate for your rights under the law and to protect them in a way that gives you the best possible chance at being compensated. They are trained to accomplish this in a variety of ways, using a variety of techniques, like:
- Gathering evidence
- Working with expert witnesses who can demonstrate how your accident happened and why you are deserving of compensation
- Collecting the information needed to demonstrate negligence and hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions
- Negotiating a settlement with the at-fault party, their lawyers, and their insurers
- Taking your case to court if a settlement cannot be reached
How do Morgantown Personal Injury Cases Work?
The process of filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit can be complicated, which is why many people choose to work with a personal injury attorney. Most personal injury lawsuits and cases proceed as follows:
- You are injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence.
- You consult with and choose a personal injury lawyer to defend your right to compensation.
- Your attorney will then begin to gather evidence, conduct an investigation, and collect police reports and medical bills. They will also handle speaking with the defendant, their lawyer, and their insurance company.
- After this process is complete, your lawyer will put together a demand package or letter. This document will be sent to the at-fault party’s legal counsel and will contain detailed information on the accident and your injuries, as well as how much they believe your injuries are worth.
- The next step is the opportunity to negotiate a settlement. The vast majority of personal injury cases are settled out of court when both parties’ attorneys can reach an agreement on how much compensation you deserve. If this process is successful, your case will end shortly thereafter.
- If the settlement process is not successful, your only option to obtain fair compensation is to file a lawsuit. This will require your attorney to do additional work, like speaking to witnesses, soliciting the help of other legal experts, paying court fees, and filing the appropriate paperwork.
- Finally, the day will come for your case to be heard in court. You and your lawyer will attend as all of the details and evidence surrounding your case are heard by a judge and jury. They will make a final ruling that, hopefully, sees you made whole again.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
What you can receive compensation for truly depends on the specifics of your case but, in general, personal injury victims are often able to receive money for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Morgantown Personal Injury Claims
After you’ve been injured, you’re bound to have a lot of questions regarding personal injury claims. While the personal injury claim and lawsuit is explained above, you might find the answers to the below questions helpful as well.
How do I file a personal injury claim in Morgantown, West Virginia?
The best way to start is by contacting Colombo Law. We will make this process easier than it would be if you handled your case on your own, and we’ll start by establishing who was negligent in your accident, gathering the information we need to prove you deserve compensation, and filing your claim within West Virginia’s two-year statute of limitations.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Morgantown, West Virginia?
The personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law charge on a contingency fee basis. That means we don’t get paid unless we get money for you. At that point, we typically charge one-third of the compensation you receive.
How much compensation can I expect from a Morgantown, West Virginia personal injury claim?
It is hard to know how much money you can expect without knowing the extent of your injuries, full cost of your treatment, and the totals for any other costs you’ve incurred or might incur in the future. In general, West Virginia cases often end in compensatory damages that are enough to cover all of your expenses.
That said, it is important to understand that West Virginia operates on a comparative negligence rule. This means that you can only receive damages if you are 50 percent or less at fault for the accident and the at-fault party is only responsible for the percentage of damage they caused. This can have a huge influence on how much money you receive, which is why it’s best to discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer in order to decide how to best move forward.
Do I have to go to court in Morgantown, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
No. before going to court, your personal injury attorney will attempt to work with the at-fault party in order to negotiate a settlement. It is only after failed settlement negotiations that you may have to go to court.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Morgantown, West Virginia?
Filing a claim, the discovery process, settlement, a trial; these are all things that can take anywhere from months to years. It is best to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer in order to find out how long your case may last and ensure it is filed within the two-year statute of limitations.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
No. It is highly likely that this settlement is much lower than you could be entitled to. Before you accept any kind of settlement or sign any documents, you should talk to a Morgantown personal injury lawyer in order to protect your right to fair compensation.
Local, Experienced, Morgantown, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
If you live in Morgantown, WV and you have suffered a personal injury, don’t hesitate to seek help. The personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are here to help the victims in our communities get the compensation they deserve so they can heal and go on to live happy, healthy lives. We have worked with clients in the following Morgantown neighborhoods:
- West Sabraton
- Cheat Lake
- Star City
- Wiles Hill
- South Hills
- South Park
The best thing you can do for you and your family is take every step you can towards being compensated for your injuries and expenses. We’re here to help you do that. Contact the Morgantown personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law at 304-599-4229 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation.