The Morgantown personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are local, legal professionals who are skilled at helping accident and injury victims get the money they need to cover their expenses. Not sure if you have a case? No problem. Get in touch with us, and we’ll schedule a free consultation to discuss your situation and how we may be able to help.
If you’ve ever been injured in an accident, you probably know the feeling of uncertainty that comes with it. You’ve probably wondered how you’re going to pay for your medical care and have worried about the financial future of your family as a result.
If you were injured by someone who was acting negligently, you might be able to seek compensation from that person for your expenses. Unfortunately, this is a process that is often easier said than done. It involves a lot of time and effort to fill out the necessary paperwork, collect evidence, and prove that you have a right to compensation from the at-fault party.
What Is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury is defined as any physical, mental, or emotional harm that is inflicted on an individual. While many things qualify as personal injuries, it’s important to note that property damage and hurting someone’s reputation are not included.
Personal injuries can occur anywhere, anytime. Companies and businesses can cause personal injuries as well. Some personal injuries are accidental, and some are intentional. Regardless, they are almost always the result of some form of negligence or carelessness.
Types of Personal Injury Accidents and Injuries
Our lawyers have helped victims in Morgantown and throughout West Virginia get the money they deserve after accidents that include but are not limited to:
There are a wide variety of injuries that can be inflicted, depending on the type of personal injury accident. As Morgantown personal injury accident lawyers, we’ve helped clients who have suffered from the following injuries:
- Chemical exposure and burn injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Birth-related injuries and Cerebral Palsy
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nursing home injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Work-related injuries
- Broken bones
- Dog bite injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Injuries caused by exposure to asbestos
- Injuries caused by defective products
- Natural gas injuries
- Injuries resulting in amputation
- Slips and falls
- Swimming pool injuries
- Wrongful death
When to Begin Your Personal Injury Claim
If you’ve been injured, you should prepare to file a personal injury claim right away. Part of this is because West Virginia’s statute of limitations is only two years, and it is critical your case is filed within that period.
The other reason to start your personal injury claim as soon as possible is that it gives your lawyer more time to gather evidence, conduct an investigation, speak to witnesses, and do everything else they need to do in order to help your case be successful.
While your personal injury attorney will handle most of the hard work for you, there are some things you can do to help give your case a better chance of being successful. Remember the following in the moments after you are involved in an accident or are injured:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you think you are injured, you should be examined by your doctor or in the ER. Showing that you sought treatment will help your case.
- If your accident occurred in public, call 9-1-1 so the police can file an official report. You should also get a copy of that report if possible.
- If your accident occurred at work, let your supervisor know so they can take the steps they are required to document your injury and file a workers’ comp claim.
- If there are witnesses, get their contact information. Their testimony can help strengthen your case if it goes to court.
- Photograph everything, including the accident scene, your injuries, any property damage that occurred, etc.
- Take notes. You should keep a journal that has information on how, when, and where the accident occurred, as well as everything you remember and how your injuries are affecting your daily life.
- Keep records of everything. Be certain to keep all your receipts, medical records, prescription information, doctor’s orders, etc.
- Contact the Morgantown personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law. We have over 45 years of combined experience representing injured victims. We’ll walk you through this difficult time and treat you, and your case, with the compassion and care that’s deserved.
What Should I Bring to My Consultation?
Your initial consultation is your opportunity to tell us everything that happened during your accident, and it’s our opportunity to learn more about you and how we can help you get the money you need to cope with your injuries. To help us do this, please collect as much of the following information as possible to bring to your free consultation at Colombo Law:
- All records, receipts, and bills relating to your medical treatment.
- Contact information for your doctor and any other medical professional who has treated you for this injury.
- Detailed information on how much time you’ve had to take off and how much money you’ve lost as a result.
- The journal or notes you have with information about the accident and your injuries.
- A copy of any police reports or the injury reports that have been filed (we can help you get these things if you don’t have them).
- Any information or documents you’ve received from insurance adjustors and workers’ comp representatives.
- The pictures you took of the accident and your injuries.
Potential Deposition Questions
In some cases, the at-fault party’s lawyer will request that you attend a deposition. This is an interview where you’re asked about the accident and your injuries.
It’s hard to predict what kinds of questions you’ll be asked until we know more about your case. In general, however, you can expect to be asked questions like:
- Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
- What kinds of accidents or injuries have you suffered in the past?
- Where do you work?
- How long have you worked there?
- Have you ever filed a lawsuit before?
- Where do you live?
- How long have you lived there?
- Tell us the details of what happened when you were injured?
- Did you file an insurance claim?
- Was anyone with you at the time of the accident?
- Did you talk to any witnesses?
- Is this the first time you’ve suffered this kind of injury?
- How has this injury affected your day-to-day life or ability to work?
- When did you go to the doctor?
- Who is your doctor?
- Did you follow your doctor’s orders regarding care, medication, and rehabilitation?
We know this process can be stressful. Just take a deep breath, relax, and remember to be truthful with all your responses and you should be fine.
Why Should I Hire a Morgantown Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are a lot of things to consider when filing a personal injury claim. No matter how simple your case may seem, things can get complicated quickly. Having a Morgantown personal injury lawyer by your side through this process can help eliminate the unknowns and will allow you to rest easy knowing that your case is being handled by a professional.
It’s also nice to know that when you hire the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law, you won’t pay anything for our services unless we help you reach a successful outcome in your case. Don’t hesitate to get the help you need. Call us today at 304-906-2815 to schedule a free consultation and let us handle the hard work so you can focus on getting better.