Our Columbus truck accident attorneys have extensive experience handling lawsuits for those who have been seriously injured in accidents involving large trucks. We provide our clients with aggressive legal representation. Our methods are proven to maximize the compensation received by victims of tractor trailer accidents. Contact us to schedule a free consultation.
Hiring the Right Truck Accident Lawyer
We Have Helped Our Clients Receive Millions of Dollars
Dino S. Colombo
Truck Accident Caused Severe Facial Injuries
Truck Accident Causing Death
Settlement in Truck Collision Involving Fatality
Settlement After a Natural Gas Explosion
Tractor Trailer Accident
Distracted Driver Case
Settlement for Spinal Cord Injury Victim
Settlement in Distracted Truck Driver Case
Man Injured by Home Health Agency
Natural Gas Service Company
Natural Gas Well Site Explosion
Wrongful Death Case Involving Intoxicated Driver
Work Related Death Case
Tractor Trailer Accident
Columbus Personal Injury Case Types
Our services span a variety of personal injuries and accidents, including:
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury lawyers know how the law works and they know what the victim’s rights are under it. Their job is to prove that you were injured by a negligent individual or company and that you deserve compensation because of that. To help us prove this, we must:
- Gather evidence
- Work with expert witnesses
- Demonstrate how your accident happened and why you deserve compensation
- Negotiate settlements whenever possible
- Prepare cases for court when there is no better option
- Be just as knowledgeable as the trucking companies in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations that are designed to keep the public safe.
How do Columbus Personal Injury Cases Work?
Filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit isn’t always easy and can bring with it many complications. That’s one of the reasons many people hire an experienced personal injury attorney. That said, many personal injury lawsuits and cases proceed as follows:
- You are injured as a direct result of someone else’s negligence.
- You find a personal injury lawyer who you feel understands your needs.
- Your attorney starts investigating, look at evidence, and collecting police reports or other investigation reports and medical bills. They will also talk to the defendant, their lawyer, and their insurance company so you don’t have to.
- In many cases, your lawyer uses their findings to put together a demand package. They send this to the at-fault party’s lawyer or insurance company so that they can see detailed information on your injuries, expenses, and how much compensation you are deserving of.
- Now there is an opportunity for the other party to offer you a settlement that is fair. This is the negotiating phase and if it goes well, your case is almost over.
- If it doesn’t however, you may have no choice but to file a lawsuit to get the money you deserve. While this is not ideal, the attorneys at Colombo Law will be there with you every step of the way to help you through it – it is what they do every day.
- In many cases, personal injury lawsuits will settle after a lawsuit is filed, but before the case has been sent to trial in front of a jury. After the lawsuit is filed, your lawyers will begin what is known as the “discovery” phase of the case where the parties exchange evidence, examine witnesses under oath, gather other evidence, and work with expert witnesses to prepare the case for trial.
- If your case is not settled before trial, you and your lawyers will go to the courthouse and present your case to a jury in order to obtain an award of damages in your favor.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
Some of the most common things personal injury victims receive compensation for include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Columbus Personal Injury Claims
Have questions? We’re here to help. Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions regarding personal injury cases. If you have a question and you don’t see the answer here, simply contact us for more information.
How do I file a personal injury claim in Columbus, Ohio?
Your first step should be to find a Columbus personal injury lawyer, as going through this process on your own can be hard. At Colombo Law, we make it easier on you by handling every last detail and getting your case filed within Ohio’s two-year statute of limitations.
In some cases however, the statute of limitations is less than two years, so it’s critical you act quickly and contact a Columbus, Ohio personal injury attorney ASAP.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Columbus, Ohio?
At Colombo Law, we operate on a contingent fee basis. That means you do not owe us any attorney fees unless we successfully obtain a recovery for you through settlement or a verdict. The contingent fees we do charge are typically one-third of your recovery, but can vary depending on the type and complexity of the case.
How much compensation can I expect from a Columbus, Ohio personal injury claim?
It is impossible to tell you how much money you can expect until we have more information regarding your case, contact us for your free case evaluation.
Do I have to go to court in Columbus, Ohio to file a personal injury claim?
Most likely not. Most of these cases are settled out of court in a fairly civil manner. However, there are cases that require going to court if the at-fault party doesn’t want to compensate you fairly and the personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law are prepared to take our clients’ cases to trial to get you the compensation you deserve.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Columbus, Ohio?
The process of filing a claim, finishing the discovery process, negotiating a settlement, and going to trial can vary in length. Simple cases may take months and complicated cases could take years.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
The answer to this question is almost always, NO. In fact, you shouldn’t even be talking to the other party’s insurance company without a lawyer present, as they could get you to say or do something that waives your right to compensation. If you are contacted by an insurance adjuster, immediately refer them to your lawyer.
Local, Experienced, Columbus, Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
The best thing you can do during a time as stressful as when you are injured by someone else’s negligence is to get help from the Columbus, Ohio personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law. We have the experience needed to fight aggressively against the people who hurt you. Our office in Columbus, OH serves victims throughout the greater metro area and in places like:
- Downtown Columbus
- Franklin Park
- Grove City
- Greater Hilltop
- Upper Arlington
- New Albany
Whether you have questions, concerns, or are ready to start your personal injury claim, you can get in touch with us by calling 614-362-7000 to speak to a Columbus, OH personal injury lawyer near you.