With the winter season quickly approaching, car accidents will likely rise throughout West Virginia and all across the United States. These accidents range in type and severity, but any accident will likely rattle the drivers and passengers. If you or your loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to speak with a personal injury lawyer to determine your rights to compensation. The experienced car accident lawyers at Colombo Law can assist you with a claim for any injuries arising in the state of West Virginia.
If You are Injured in an Accident
If you or your loved one has been injured in an accident, you may have a claim to a negligence cause of action. An accident or incident involving negligence occurs when:
- A duty exists;
- There is a breach in the duty owed;
- The breach is the proximate cause of damages sustained;
When the three requirements listed above are met, the injured party may be entitled to monetary damages. Monetary relief could include, but is not limited to, payment for damages to your vehicle payment for injuries sustained as a result of the accident, and lost wages due to missed work.
If a Serious Injury Results From a Car Accident
Significant injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of an accident can have a devastating impact on you and your loved ones. A personal injury lawyer can include some of the following damages when serious injuries occur as a result of an accident or incident:
- Loss of earning capacity: A claim for this type of loss arises when an individual is no longer able to work due to the injuries sustained in an accident.
- Future medical expenses: When a devastating injury occurs, injured parties often suffer from injuries that may require long term care such as physical therapy and/or lifetime medication. Any quantifiable expenses for future medical treatment may be included in a claim for relief.
When a Death Results From a Car Accident
When a catastrophic accident takes the life of your loved one, the estate can bring a claim for wrongful death against the wrongdoer. Wrongful death suits can greatly assist family members who are are required to carry the burden of their deceased loved one’s by allowing the following damages:
- Medical and funeral expenses
- Loss of expected earnings
- Damages for mental anguish
- Loss of care and companionship