If you have been seriously injured in an accident that was not your fault, it is likely in your best interest to speak to an attorney. There are several reasons you should seek legal representation:
- Personal injury claims are complex: For someone who is not familiar with OH personal injury law, it can be an extremely difficult, time-consuming process to navigate.
- Insurance companies will fight against you: From the moment you file a claim, insurance companies will do everything they can to fight it – and they have the money and resources to mount a significant challenge.
- Building a case takes time and focus: Most personal injury victims are busy enough trying to heal; working with a personal injury attorney not only means you benefit from their experience and knowledge but also that you can focus on getting better.
Below, we are going to take a closer look at the steps involved in building and winning a personal injury case and how a lawyer can help each step of the way. The Ohio personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law can help if you have been hurt due to the negligence of another.
Investigating Your Personal Injury Claim
The first step in any personal injury case is a thorough investigation. The goal at this stage is to gather evidence and establish the facts of what happened.
To do this, your personal injury lawyer will perform the following steps on your behalf:
- Interviewing witnesses: We will identify and interview eyewitnesses who were at the scene of the accident.
- Finding and compiling physical evidence: From dashcam footage to skid marks, physical evidence will help us solidify the chain of events leading to the accident.
- Investigating the other parties involved: In some cases, another party’s background might be important, such as in a truck accident where a truck driver has a history of aggressive driving.
Thorough collection of the evidence is crucial for assessing the party or parties at fault for your injuries.
“Liability” refers to who is at fault for the accident. Depending on the type of personal injury case, the liable party could be:
- Another driver on the road
- A building owner or property manager
- A nursing home caretaker or administrator
- A medical professional
- A trucking company
- And/or another party
Each of these parties has a duty to act in a way that does not harm others. When they fail in this duty, they can be held liable for injuries that occur as a direct result of their negligence.
Ultimately, there may be multiple parties held liable for a single accident. It is important to contact a personal injury lawyer who can identify all of the liable parties and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Your Injuries
For personal injury victims, their immediate medical bills are generally what first comes to mind when pursuing compensation. Medical treatment can be expensive, and accident victims have the right to pursue compensation against negligent parties to pay these bills.
With that said, it is important to consider the full effect your injuries will have on your life. Will they require ongoing therapy or rehabilitation? Will they lead to changes to your lifestyle that will be expensive? Will they affect your ability to do your job?
If you have not been involved in a personal injury case before, you may not have a complete understanding of what constitutes compensable damages. An experienced personal injury attorney will have dealt with a variety of cases, and he or she can advise you what damages you may be able to recover.
While knowing how much you should pursue in compensation starts with a full understanding of the expenses related to your injuries, your physical injuries are not the only losses you may have sustained. Other damages your attorney may be able to pursue on your behalf include:
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The damages in your claim must be supported by the evidence. An experienced personal injury lawyer will gather crucial evidence, hire experts, and more to build an effective claim on your behalf.
Handling Negotiations and Court Proceedings
The majority of personal injury claims are settled out of court. In order to achieve a favorable settlement on your behalf, your lawyer will negotiate with representatives for the insurance company.
Ultimately, hiring a lawyer means you have an advocate who can ensure that the at-fault party or parties and their insurers will not take advantage of you. While a settlement may be a viable solution if the insurance company agrees to pay a fair amount in compensation, your attorney should always be willing to take your case to court as necessary.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney Today
Any serious injury is physically, emotionally, and mentally difficult. When someone else is to blame, you should not have to shoulder these burdens by yourself.
For more than 20 years, the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law have been representing clients in claims against the negligent parties responsible for their injuries. We understand the challenges you face, and we are ready to help.
With our No Fee Promise, you can pursue your legal rights without having to worry about upfront costs. You only pay if we collect damages for you.
For a free consultation, please call (614) 362-7000 today. Our lawyers handle personal injury claims in Columbus and throughout Ohio.