As fall quickly passes, millions of Americans enter the streets each and day with the same goal in mind: get to their destination safely. Unfortunately, each year there are thousands of people stranded on roadways due to adverse weather conditions, including West Virginia travelers. Although some winter accidents have nothing to do with the weather, some winter conditions are often the reason for a large portion of accidents occurring prior to and during the season.
If you or someone you know has been involved in an accident or incident in West Virginia, our attorneys want to help you. We also want to inform readers of safety travel tips in the event of safety travel tips in the event you need to travel during these times:
- Keep at least half a tank of gas: In the winter time, adverse weather conditions or accidents create the very real possibility of being stuck or stranded on a highway or other roadway for extended periods of time. During extremely cold temperatures,your motor vehicle becomes your only heat source.
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle: This emergency kit should contain at nonperishable foods that can be opened easily and water. In terms of items necessary for your vehicle, your car should have a set of jumper cables at the very least. This is because it is much easier for a battery to die in cold weather conditions.
- Prepare for your trip: Winter weather requires you to travel with more caution than other seasons. You should plan your travel time accordingly and leave early enough to have plenty of time to spare on your way to your destination.
- Maintain control of your vehicle: When adverse conditions are present, you want to maintain control of your vehicle at all times. Try to avoid putting your car on cruise control, as it can cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
- Slow Down: A major component of safe driving is traveling at speeds lower that are below the posted limits for the area. It is important to remember that posted speed limits are the maximum speed of safe travel in the best driving conditions. When adverse weather conditions are present, it is crucial to slow down accordingly.
One of the most important parts of staying safe during the winter weather season is to exercise judgment. If you feel that the weather is unsafe and creates too much of a driving hazard you should stay off the roadways.
About Colombo Law
Colombo Law is a full service personal injury law firm located in and around West Virginia including in Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Bridgeport, Kingwood, Grafton, Weston, Philippi, Buckhannon, Elkins, Parkersburg, as well as Monongalia, Marian, Harrison, Preston, Taylor, and Lewis county. If you have been injured in an accident or incident but are unsure of whether you have a personal injury claim, contact Colombo Law today for a risk-free initial consultation.