Find out how the laws in your state may affect your motorcycle accident claim. Contact the dedicated team near you:Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in
Columbus, OH Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in
The cool breeze, the feel of the open road; there are a lot of appealing things about riding a motorcycle. But it’s important to realize that, even though motorcycles are fun, if you are involved in a wreck while you are riding a motorcycle, the injuries can be devastating.
In a car accident, the occupants of the vehicle have the advantage of being surrounded by air bags and a metal structure that is designed to keep them safe. This is not the case with motorcycles, which offer little to no protection for their riders.
If you or a loved one have been hurt or killed in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to receive compensation for personal injuries or wrongful death. After seeking medical attention, your next step should be to contact the motorcycle accident lawyers at Colombo Law to find out if you have a case.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
As mentioned above, motorcycle accidents are often much more likely to result in serious injuries and fatalities than car accidents. In fact, according to the Insurance Information Institute, data from 2015 shows that motorcyclists are 29 times more likely to die in an accident than the victims of car accidents.
Check out some additional facts about motorcycle accidents:
- In 2015, there were 8.6 million motorcycles on U.S. roads
- Accidents that year resulted in 88,000 injuries and 4,976 deaths, which was an 8.3 increase in fatalities when compared to 2014
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
The two most common causes of motorcycle accidents are collisions with fixed objects or collisions with another motor vehicle. Many accidents involved a passenger vehicle are caused by the driver of that vehicle.
Below are some of the most common causes of accidents we see as motorcycle accident attorneys:
- New drivers don’t have a lot of real world driving experience, and this can make it hard for them to share the road with motorcyclists safely.
- Many drivers have the tendency to tailgate and it’s a bad practice that can easily result in rear-ending a motorcycle, especially during bad weather.
- Failure to check blind spots. This is, by far, one of the most common ways the driver of a passenger vehicle can hurt a motorcyclist. If a motorcycle is sitting in the driver’s blind spot, they can change lanes on top of them without even knowing it, leaving the motorcyclist with few options for avoiding a crash.
- Misjudging speed and distance. Since motorcycles are small, the driver of a passenger vehicle may think they are far away when actually they are very close. This can cause them to change lanes or turn in front of a bike without realizing they’re putting the rider in danger.
- Failing to obey the speed limit. Passenger vehicle drivers who go too fast can have issues judging how far away a motorcyclist is. It also leaves them less time to stop in an emergency situation.
- Driving while distracted. Using phones and talking to passengers are just two ways the drivers of passenger vehicles can engage in distracted driving and cause a motorcycle accident.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
As motorcycle accident lawyers, we’ve helped victims suffering from:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe bruising
- Cuts, scrapes, and abrasions
- Road rash
- Neck and back injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Temporary or permanent paralysis
- Burn injuries
- Organ damage
- Joint, tendon, muscle, or ligament tears
- Wrongful Death
What Can I Be Compensated for After a Motorcycle Accident?
Just like a car or truck accident, the victim can sustain serious physical and emotional injuries. These can result in thousands of dollars in medical bills and therapy costs. If you or a loved one were hurt as a motorcycle driver or rider, you may not have to pay for these things on your own. If another party was at fault for your accident, you should contact a motorcycle accident lawyer to see if you are entitled to financial compensation for your injuries.
The motorcycle accident attorneys at Colombo Law have helped the victims of motorcycle accidents get compensation for things like:
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Emotional anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Medical bills
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
Why Should I Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
The answer is simply that a motorcycle accident attorney has your best interests in mind. The insurance company of the person or party that hurt you doesn’t. They want to offer you as little money as possible in the hopes that you will take it and close the case.
You should never accept the first settlement you are offered by an insurance adjusters. In many cases, this is far less money than you deserve. When you hire a motorcycle accident lawyer, you’re hiring someone who knows how to prove how much you deserve and fight to make the insurance companies pay as close to that amount as possible.
If you or a loved one need help after a motorcycle accident, contact Colombo Law. We will schedule a free consultation to go over the details of your case. Remember our No Fee Promise says there’s never a fee for a legal evaluation. After the free evaluation, there’s no obligation to use our law firm. If we don’t collect damages for you, you don’t owe an attorney fee. Call us at 888-860-1414 to start the process of getting back on your feet and back on the road.