If you’ve been hurt in an accident, you have rights. When you hire a personal injury lawyer, not only are you working with someone who will advocate for your rights, but you’re also working with someone who may be able to help you get the compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one have been injured through no fault of your own, schedule a free consultation with the Weston personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law to find out if you have a case.
Weston Personal Injury Practice Areas
Our attorneys have worked with a variety of victims who are suffering after:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury lawyers are an injured victim’s primary advocate. Their job is to know your rights under the law and make sure you are being treated fairly and honorably by the people who injured you. To achieve this, personal injury lawyers often have to:
- Gather evidence
- Find expert witnesses whose experience can be used to strengthen your claim
- Deal with greedy insurance companies who want to pay you as little as possible
- Preparing to go to court for claims that cannot be settled
How do Weston Personal Injury Cases Work?
Personal injury cases and lawsuits can take a long time to complete, which is one of the many reasons it’s advisable to work with a legal professional who understands the process.
No two personal injury cases are alike, but most unfold as follows:
- Someone who acted negligently injures you.
- You know you deserve compensation, so you contact the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law.
- Our team gets to work right away; gathering evidence, conducting an investigation of your accident, and talking to insurance adjustors as needed.
- We use this information to put together a demand package for the at-fault party’s lawyer. In this package we explain the extent of your injuries and outline how much compensation we believe you need to cover your current and future medical expenses relating to this accident.
- We make every attempt to negotiate a fair settlement with the other party’s insurance companies and legal counsel. If we’re successful, your case will end shortly thereafter.
- If the other party refuses to pay reasonable compensation, we will take them to court.
- We’ll bring your case in front of a judge and jury and use every resource we have to argue that you deserve the compensation as outlined in the demand package.
What Expenses Can I Receive Compensation for in a Personal Injury Case?
There are a variety of things you could be compensated for. Whether or not you will be compensated for all of these things depends on the details of your case. Common personal injury damages include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Weston Personal Injury Claims
We get a lot of questions regarding the details of filing a personal injury claim. While some questions are specific to your case and better answered during your initial consultation, here are a few of the most common common ones we are asked:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Weston, West Virginia?
Your first step after you have been injured should be to contact a Weston personal injury attorney. Doing this is much safer than handling your own case and will give you a better chance at getting the compensation you deserve.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Weston, West Virginia?
Your costs depend on whether we successfully settle or win your case. If we don’t, you don’t owe us anything. If we do, we charge one-third of what you receive.
How much compensation can I expect from a Weston, West Virginia personal injury claim?
We can’t tell you how much compensation you can expect without knowing the full extent of your injuries, treatment costs, and other bills. In most cases, personal injury victims in West Virginia receive enough money to cover their expenses.
There is one catch however, and that is West Virginia’s comparative negligence rule. Under this law, victims can only seek damages if they are 50 percent or less at fault for an accident and the at-faulty party only has to pay the damages for which they are at fault. This can be hard to understand and changes the dynamics of a personal injury case, which is why you should consider talking to the Weston personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law.
Do I have to go to court in Weston, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
Not always. If your case can be settled, as most can, there is no need to go to court. If it can’t then going to court is your only option for getting the compensation you deserve.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Weston, West Virginia?
Claims can take anywhere from months to years and must be initially filed within the statute of limitations which, in West Virginia, is two years.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
No. The first settlement you’re offered is usually much less than you deserve. It’s best to avoid talking about settlements, signing anything, or talking to insurance adjustors at all without your lawyer present.
Local, Experienced, Weston, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
If you live in Weston, WV and you’ve been hurt in an accident, get in touch with Colombo Law. We have the experience needed to help you and see to it that you and your family get the compensation you need to move on and live life the way it should be lived: free of the financial burden of an unexpected accident.
Our attorneys are local and work with clients throughout Weston, including neighborhoods like:
- Jackson’s Mill
- City Center
- Jane Lew
- Ben Dale
Take the first step to getting your life back on track after an accident or injury and call the Weston personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law at 304-599-4229 for a free initial consultation.