Westerville, Ohio is a large city that spans both Franklin and Delaware Counties and is home to an estimated 38,985 people. It’s also home to several large organizations, like Cheryl’s Cookies, Worthington Industries, and the American Ceramic Society.
Unlike most cities, the town center of Westerville is often called “Uptown Westerville” and features a variety of stores, restaurants, and historically significant buildings. When residents aren’t enjoying some leisurely window shopping, they often find themselves taking advantage of Westerville’s many natural wonders.
The Inniswood Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve provides countless opportunities to view foliage and wildlife. Those looking to catch some rays can even head down to the Alum Creek State Park Beach for an afternoon of fun in the sun. The Ohio to Erie Trail is a favorite for hikers and bikers alike, who can also enjoy the outdoors at Alum Creek State Park, Sharon Woods Metro Park, or the Hoover Reservoir Park.
Being active is clearly something the people of Westerville enjoy. Unfortunately, the ability to get up, move around, and enjoy life can be taken away in an instance if you are injured in a car accident, truck accident, or workplace accident. In fact, any personal injury can affect your quality of life and leave you suffering, in pain, and facing thousands of dollars in medical bills.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Westerville, OH
Fortunately, the Westerville personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are here to help in situations like these. We are local personal injury attorneys who have a passion for helping injured victims get the compensation they deserve after an accident. Because we are local, if you are injured and cannot make it to our office for a free consultation, our personal injury lawyers will come to your Westerville home. If you or a loved one have been injured by someone else’s negligence, you can find out if you have a case by scheduling a free consultation with a Westerville personal injury attorney.
Westerville Personal Injury Case Types
Our services extend to a variety of personal injuries and accidents, including:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury lawyers have to be skilled in all aspects aspects of the law, from understanding victim’s rights to knowing how to argue a compelling case in front of a judge. To ensure that injured members of the community receive compensation for their injuries, our lawyers have to:
- Gather evidence
- Work with expert witnesses
- Demonstrate how your accident happened and why you deserve compensation
- Negotiate settlements whenever possible; and
- Prepare cases for court
How do Westerville Personal Injury Cases Work?
Personal injury lawsuits and cases vary depending on what kind of case it is, how the accident happened, and who is responsible. In general, most of them do look something like this:
- You become a victim of someone else’s negligence.
- You seek help in proving negligence and your right to compensation from a Westerville, OH personal injury attorney.
- Your attorney takes the burden off your shoulders, by conducting an investigation, collecting evidence, and gathering things like police reports and medical bills. They also handle all communication with the at-fault party and their representatives.
- These findings can be used to put together a demand letter that outlines your injuries, expenses, and claim to compensation. They then send this letter to the at-fault party’s lawyer or insurer for them to review.
- This is when the at-fault party’s representatives have an opportunity to settle with you. If they offer a fair settlement, your case will be over soon.
- If not, Colombo Law may have no choice but to go to court to get the money you deserve.
- After you file a lawsuit, there is still a chance your case can be settled before going to court. This is also where the discovery phase begins and both parties exchange more detailed information on the case.
- If the at-fault party is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, the lawyers at Colombo Law will prepare your case for trial and present your case to a jury and ask the jury to award you the compensation you deserve.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
The victims of personal injuries can often claim compensation for a variety of things, including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Westerville Personal Injury Claims
Not sure whether or not you want to file a personal injury claim? We’ve compiled some questions designed to give you more information on how the process works and what you can expect.
How do I file a personal injury claim in Westerville, Ohio?
You start by contacting a Westerville personal injury lawyer. At Colombo Law, our local Westerville attorneys will help you through this difficult time by handling every last detail. Just be sure to contact a lawyer ASAP because, though most personal injury lawsuits in Ohio have a two-year statute of limitations, others are much shorter making time of the essence.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Westerville, Ohio?
The lawyers at Colombo Law only charge fees contingent on if we win or successfully settle your case. Until then you don’t owe us anything. Most cases resulting in a successful verdict or settlement end with the client being charged one-third of their award amount, but some more complex cases may require a higher percentage.
How much compensation can I expect from a Westerville, Ohio personal injury claim?
We aren’t able to predict how much your claim is worth before we sit down with you in an initial consultation to learn more about your case and injuries. Fortunately, we offer free consultations, so it’s free to find out if you have a case.
Do I have to go to court in Westerville, Ohio to file a personal injury claim?
Not usually. We are able to settle many cases out of court. It’s not ideal, but sometimes we do end up having to take the at-fault party to court to help you get the compensation you deserve. Westerville is in Franklin and Delaware Counties, Ohio, which means if you do have to file a lawsuit, Colombo Law will likely file your case in the Franklin or Delaware County Court of Common Pleas; however, depending on the circumstances your case may be filed in another state or federal court.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Westerville, Ohio?
Doing everything that needs done in order to put together a solid case takes time. Some cases may last months whereas others can take several years to be resolved.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
The answer to this question is almost always, NO. Don’t take settlements, don’t sign paperwork, don’t even talk to an insurance adjuster without first consulting your own personal injury lawyer.
Local, Experienced, Westerville, Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
Coping with life after a personal injury is hard, so there’s no reason to make it harder by fighting for compensation alone. That’s why the Westerville, OH personal injury lawyers at Colombo law are here – to help you get your life back on track. We work with clients in Westerville and nearby areas like:
- Westerville Park
- Westerville Highlands
- Collegeview Park
- McVay Woods
- College Acres
- Spring Grove North
- Walnut Park
- Lexington Park
- Linnabary Heights
Our Westerville personal injury lawyers are standing by to help you and your loved ones get back to life as you knew it before your accident. Contact us or give us a call at 614-362-7000 to schedule a free consultation and get started today.