Morgantown’s first roundabout, located at the junction of the Mileground and Rt. 705, opened on June 26th. The roundabout is designed to make intersections more efficient and safer for drivers and pedestrians. The Division of Highways expects traffic at the intersection to begin decreasing with the roundabout, but added that without the other two phases of the project complete, which is slated to take another 2 years, the full potential of the roundabout will not be reached.
The new, multi-lane roundabout in Morgantown is much like those that Fairmont residents have become accustomed to using. However, many Morgantown residents are unfamiliar with roundabouts and their use. The West Virginia Department of Highways has created this instructional video in order instruct drivers on proper roundabout navigation. The following directions will also help ensure safe and successful roundabout navigation:
- Reduce your speed when approaching the roundabout.
- Watch for signs that may help you find your exit.
- Yield to traffic already in the roundabout that comes from your immediate left before you enter. Remember to use your turning signal.
- Enter the roundabout to your right (a counter clockwise direction) when there is a gap in traffic and you feel it is safe to do so.
- Continue until you reach your exit.
- Never come to a full stop in a roundabout unless traffic conditions require it.
- Use your right turn signal to let other road users know where you plan to exit.
- Exit at a slow speed.
- If you miss your exit, keep going around the roundabout until you reach it again.
Roundabouts are both safer and better at handling large volumes of traffic than a traditional intersection. However, those drivers who are unfamiliar with roundabouts can cause collisions. Car accidents can cause serious and sometimes devastating injuries. Therefore it is important that drivers are cautious and understand the traffic flow. Drivers that suffer an injury in an accident, or due to the negligence of another person, you should contact a personal injury lawyer immediately.