Every year, there are thousands of devastating injuries that occur in car accidents, recreational accidents, incidents of medical malpractice, and on-the-job accidents that leave families emotionally vulnerable and financially insecure. When serious injuries occur, you need an experienced attorney to help you obtain monetary compensation that is adequate for the level of harm you or your loved one has suffered. If you or someone you know has been injured in an accident or incident in the state of West Virginia, contact Colombo Law today for a no-risk initial consultation.
What are Amputations?
Amputations usually occur as a result of a surgery to remove all or part of a body extremity. The most common places for amputations include one’s arm, leg, fingers, or toes. There are several reasons for an amputation, including:
- Serious trauma to the body from a car accident;
- Poor blood flow which causes prolonged constriction;
- A result of a serious burn;
- A serious infection or disease such as diabetes;
An amputation can also occur when the extremity is torn off during the accident or incident itself. This is often the result of traumatic car accidents or accidents in the workplace, often involving heavy machinery. When amputations occur, there are additional damages that may be obtained.
Damages for Amputations
While damages claims for amputations are pursued like every other personal injury case, there are some special considerations that must be made when a serious accident results in the loss of a limb or amputation.
- Prosthetics: There are additional costs involved when individuals suffer amputations. This is because obtaining and maintaining an artificial limb to help individuals lead a normal life is costly.
- Mental Anguish: Many individuals who lose a limb suffer depression and have difficulty adapting to the changes in life. They often require psychological treatment to help them cope with all the changes.
An experienced attorney will be sure to factor in these damages and any other relevant expenses when litigating your personal injury claim.
Colombo Law: Speak with an Attorney Today
If you have been injured in an accident or incident in West Virginia, contact an attorney at Colombo Law for legal assistance. Colombo Law assists clients located in and around West Virginia including in Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Bridgeport, Kingwood Grafton, Weston, Philippi, Buckhannon, Elkins, Parkersburg, as well as Monongalia, Marian, Harrison, Preston, Taylor, and Lewis county. If you are unsure of whether you have a personal injury claim or how to proceed with obtaining monetary compensation, let one of our attorneys take the stress away from you. Contact one of our attorneys today.