If you or a loved one have suffered a personal injury and need help fighting for the compensation you deserve, schedule a free consultation with the Parkersburg, West Virginia personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law to find out if you have a case.
Parkersburg Personal Injury Practice Areas
We have experience with many different types of personal injuries, including:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer’s job is to understand the law and make sure you are being treated fairly under it. They do this by defending your rights and doing all they can to make sure the people who hurt you are held accountable. They also do things like:
- Gather evidence
- Work with expert witnesses to strengthen your claim
- Make sure greedy insurance companies don’t get away with offering you less money than you deserve
- Preparing claims that cannot be settled for trial
How do Parkersburg Personal Injury Cases Work?
This is not an easy process. It’s one that requires hours of work and years of experience to handle appropriately. Most of the time, a personal injury case will look something like this:
- You are hurt by a negligent individual or company.
- You know you may be entitled to compensation for your expenses and you contact the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law for help.
- Our team starts an investigation, beginning by gathering evidence, talking to witnesses, and talking to insurance adjustors as needed.
- We combine the facts about the accident, your injuries, and detailed information on your medical expenses into a demand package and send it to the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- We attempt to negotiate with the at-fault party in the hopes of settling out of court. If negotiations are successful, your case will be over soon.
- If the negotiation process didn’t end with you being compensated fairly, we prepare your case for court.
- Finally, the big day arrives and we walk into the courthouse with you. There both parties will sit before a judge and jury and make their cases heard. It’s then up to the judge and jury to determine how much compensation you deserve.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
The damages you’ll recover depend on the ways in which your life has been affected by your accident. In general, victims receive compensation for things like:
- Current and future medical bills
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Emotional/mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Parkersburg Personal Injury Claims
A lot of questions arise during the process of filing a personal injury claim. To help answer some of these, we’ve compiled a list of the most common personal injury claim questions we are asked:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Parkersburg, West Virginia?
The easiest way to start is by hiring a Parkersburg, WV personal injury lawyer. After your initial consultation, they will handle the bulk of the work and get your case filed within West Virginia’s two-year statute of limitations.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Parkersburg, West Virginia?
Because we work on a contingency fee basis, you don’t pay us anything unless we help you reach a successful settlement or verdict. If we do, our services are charged at a rate of one-third of your awarded damages.
How much compensation can I expect from a Parkersburg, West Virginia personal injury claim?
We can’t tell you how much to expect without knowing more about your case. What we can tell you is that most personal injury cases in West Virginia end with the victim receiving the money they need to cover the costs they’ve incurred as a result of the accident.
Note though, that West Virginia uses a modified comparative negligence rule. That means you can only be awarded damages if you are 50 percent or less at fault for the accident and the person who caused it is responsible for paying damages based on their percentage of fault. This rule complicates things, so you should discuss your situation with an attorney before deciding whether you have a valid case.
Do I have to go to court in Parkersburg, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
You may not. Most claims end up being settled out of court, so in many cases there is no need to even step foot in a courthouse. That said, a case that isn’t successfully settled can proceed to trial.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Parkersburg, West Virginia?
Between filing a claim, completing the discovery process, negotiating a settlement, and possibly going to trial; personal injury claims can last a while. There is no set time frame, but simpler cases can take months and more complicated ones can take years.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
It’s best not to. In fact, it’s best to refuse settlements, avoid signing documents, and refrain from talking to insurance adjustors without an attorney present.
Local, Experienced, Parkersburg, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
The Parkersburg, West Virginia personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law are passionate professionals who care about the members of our community. We are proud to represent the residents of Parkersburg and local neighborhoods like:
- Mineral Wells
- Mustang Acres
- South Parkersburg
- City Center
- Woodland Park
Contact us today at 304-599-4229 with any questions or concerns you may have, or if you are ready to schedule your free consultation.