Newark, Ohio is a large city that’s home to 49,134 people and a lot of history. Perhaps the most interesting artifact from years ago are the Newark Earthworks. This collection of earthen mounds was built by natives over two thousand years ago and were used for celebrations and astronomical purposes.
For even more history Newark residents can visit the National Heisey Glass Museum and The Works museum or they can enjoy the local wildlife with a visit to the Blackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve.
Newark has plenty of industry that employs thousands of residents. It hosts Owens Corning Fiberglass’ biggest factory, and houses many other large companies like State Farm and Kaiser Aluminum.
While the jobs these businesses bring are helpful in many ways, they can also result in harmful workplace accidents. And, because industry brings increased traffic, truck accidents and car accidents are common too. All of these accidents can cause personal injuries that can devastate a family both physically and financially.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Newark, OH
Fortunately, the Newark Ohio personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are here to fight for injured victims and help them get the compensation they need to cope with their injuries. If you were injured in a Newark, OH accident, schedule your free consultation with us to find out if you have a case.
Newark Personal Injury Case Types
Our practice areas include:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
When you hire a personal injury lawyer, you’re hiring a professional whose job is to protect your rights, understand the law, and fight aggressively to help you get compensation from the person or party that hurt you. Some of the things personal injury lawyers do on a daily basis include:
- Gathering evidence
- Working with expert witnesses
- Arguing for why you deserve compensation
- Negotiating settlements when possible
- Preparing court cases and lawsuits
How do Newark Personal Injury Cases Work?
Though intimidating, it’s important to remember that you are filing a personal injury case to protect yourself. You have rights under the law, and you deserve to exercise those rights by filing a case and fighting for compensation. Importantly, the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law will be with you every step of the way; fighting for you and protecting you.
Every case is different, but most look something like this:
- You get hurt.
- You hire a Newark personal injury lawyer to help you fight for compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Your lawyer conducts an investigation, and starts by speaking to witnesses, collecting evidence, and gathering medical bills and accident reports. They also communicate with the at-fault party when required.
- In some cases, your lawyer may use this information to create a demand package that provides the other party with every detail about your injuries and explains why you are entitled to compensation for your injuries and other damages.
- This is the other party’s opportunity to negotiate a fair settlement with you.
- Unfortunately, sometimes the at-fault party’s insurance company does not always do the right thing and offer a fair settlement and, if your case is one of those instances, you may have to file a lawsuit to get the money you need.
- Your lawyer will prepare your lawsuit by starting what is called the “discovery” process. This just means they’ll gather more evidence and exchange information with the at-fault party’s lawyer. During this time, the other party will still be able to settle if they want to.
- If the other party still does not offer, your day in court will come. You and your lawyer will attend the trial together and your lawyer will argue your case and present evidence to a jury to fight for the compensation you deserve.
What Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
What you can be compensated for depends on the damages you’ve suffered, but many personal injury victims are able to get monetary damages for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Newark Personal Injury Claims
The uncertainty that follows an accident can be terrifying, so it helps to have a resource to answer any questions you may have. While Colombo Law is happy to help at any time, you may find some of the answers to your questions below.
How do I file a personal injury claim in Newark, Ohio?
You start by contacting a lawyer and, fortunately, there isn’t much you’ll have to do from there. They will take care of all the hard work so you can focus on healing. Really, the most important thing you can do is to contact an attorney ASAP because some cases have a shorter statute of limitations than the traditional two-year time frame.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Newark, Ohio?
Our services are on a contingent fee basis, meaning we don’t charge attorney fees unless we reach a successful outcome in your case. If we do, we often charge one-third of the settlement in simple cases and a bit more in complex ones.
How much compensation can I expect from a Newark, Ohio personal injury claim?
We cannot predict this without knowing a lot more about your case and having an opportunity to review the facts. However, we offer free consultations, so give us a call or submit your case to us online and we will set up a time to meet with you to discuss your case free of charge.
Do I have to go to court in Newark, Ohio to file a personal injury claim?
Many personal injury cases are settled via negotiating, so you may not have to go to court. It’s only if a settlement cannot be reached that you may have to file a lawsuit and go before a judge and jury.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Newark, Ohio?
This is impossible to say. There are so many factors in a personal injury case that some take months and others take years.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
The answer to this question is almost always, NO. Don’t accept settlements, sign paperwork, or give statements to anyone representing the at-fault party without your own personal injury lawyer present. The insurance company does not represent you, nor do they have your best interests in mind.
Local, Experienced, Newark, Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
The Newark personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law are here to advocate for your right to compensation. We are passionate about serving personal injury victims in Newark and other local neighborhoods, like: