If you or a loved one have been in an accident or suffered some kind of personal injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, schedule a free consultation with the New Lexington, OH personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law. We can help you find out if you have a case and, if so, we’ll help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
New Lexington Personal Injury Case Types
If you have been injured in an accident, we may be able to help. Our services extend to the victims of:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury lawyers are skilled legal professionals who attend years of school in order to achieve a deep understanding of the law and how it is designed to protect accident victims. They use this knowledge to argue your case in court or negotiate a settlement that sees you fairly compensated. A good personal injury lawyer knows how to:
- Gather evidence
- Find expert witnesses
- Argue for your right to compensation
- Negotiate settlements
- Prepare lawsuits and court cases
How do New Lexington Personal Injury Cases Work?
Most personal injury lawsuits have the same structure, but some can be more complicated and take considerable more work. How easy your case is really just depends on the severity of your injuries, how cooperative the at-fault party is, and the nature of the incident. Generally, you can expect your case to go something like this:
- You suffer injuries as a direct result of someone else’s negligence.
- You find a personal injury lawyer who your trust and feel confident in.
- Your attorney starts an investigation where they look at evidence, and collect things like police reports, phone records, accident reports, and medical bills. They will also handle all communications with the defendant, their lawyer, and their insurance company so you don’t have to.
- Often, these findings will be put together to form a demand package containing detailed information about your injuries, expenses, and how much compensation you are deserving of. This will be sent to the at-fault party’s insurance company for review.
- Your case could end right here if the at-fault party and their insurance company are willing to negotiate a fair settlement.
- If they aren’t, your lawyer will most likely begin the process of filing a lawsuit. Don’t worry, this may sound intimidating, but your attorney will be with you every step of the way.
- Personal injury lawsuits can still settle after a lawsuit is filed, but before the court date arrives. In the meantime, your attorneys begin the “discovery” phase of the case where they exchange evidence with the other parties involved, question witnesses, and work with expert witnesses to prepare the case for court.
- If your court date arrives and a settlement still has not been reached, you and your lawyers will go to the courthouse and argue your case in front of a jury in the hopes of getting the compensation you deserve.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to get compensation for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in New Lexington Personal Injury Claims
We get asked a lot of questions and, while many of them are unique to certain cases, some can be applied to almost any personal injury claim. Below is a list of the questions we get asked the most.
How do I file a personal injury claim in New Lexington, Ohio?
Step number one should be working with one of the New Lexington personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law. Not only do we have the decades of experience needed to fight for your right to compensation, but we will make sure your case is filed in time. We can’t do this however, if you don’t contact us ASAP because some caes have a shorter statute of limitations than the traditional two-year timeframe.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in New Lexington, Ohio?
We charge contingent fees, which means you don’t owe any attorney fees unless we are successful in helping you get the compensation you deserve.
How much compensation can I expect from a New Lexington, Ohio personal injury claim?
There is no way to know how much your case is worth until you meet with a personal injury lawyer and the full extent of your injuries are known. Once you hire an attorney, they can start an investigation, begin collecting your medical records and bills, contacting witnesses, and negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Do I have to go to court in New Lexington, Ohio to file a personal injury claim?
No. Many cases can be settled fairly out of court. It’s only cases that don’t reach a fair settlement that have to go to court.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in New Lexington, Ohio?
It’s tough to say, as there are so many things that factor into how long these cases can take. Depending on your case’s complexity, you can expect it to last anywhere from months to years.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
Taking the first settlement you’re offered is almost never a good idea. You really shouldn’t even be discussing these things with the at-fault party’s insurance company at all. Instead, if they or anyone else representing the at-fault party contacts you, refer them to your lawyer and politely decline to discuss the case.
Local, Experienced, New Lexington, Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
The days and weeks after an accident are stressful and often painful. There’s no need to make it worse by trying to handle your own case. That’s why the New Lexington personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are here – to take this burden off your shoulders. We help accident victims throughout Lancaster and:
- Junction City
- White Cottage
Working with us will save you time and effort, and it gives you a much better chance of being compensated fairly. Still not sure if you want to file a personal injury claim? We’re happy to answer questions and address any concerns you may have. Just contact us or call us at 614-362-7000 to schedule a free consultation.