Lancaster, Ohio is nestled in Fairfield County and sits alongside the beautiful Hocking River. It’s home to 39,848 residents as well as students of the Ohio University Lancaster campus.
One of Lancaster’s most famous features is Mount Pleasant. This 250 foot tall sandstone bluff was originally found and named by Native Americans. It’s located in Rising Park and, if climbed, offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
Lancaster is also known for several yearly events. The Lancaster Festival is an 11-day celebration of art and music and the Fairfield County Fair is a solid week of exhibits, food, and fun. When it’s not festival season, residents and visitors can enjoy hours of fun at the AHA! Children’s museum, the Decorative Arts Center of Ohio, and the Ohio Glass Museum or learn about Civil War history by visiting the Sherman House.
All of the activities and events in Lancaster are great for our city’s economy, but they do bring a lot of car and truck traffic which means they also bring car accidents and truck accidents. That’s why the Lancaster, Ohio personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are here.
Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Lancaster, OH
We help the victims of these accidents get their lives back on track by seeking compensation from the negligent people who caused their personal injuries. If you or a loved one live in Lancaster and think you may have a personal injury case, schedule a free consultation with Colombo Law to find out.
Lancaster Personal Injury Case Types
We work with many accident and injury victims, including those who have experienced:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer is a skilled professional who understands the law and how victims are protected under it. Their job is to prove that the party who hurt you was negligent and demonstrate why you deserve compensation as a result. To achieve this, personal injury lawyers must use their resources and experience to:
- Gather evidence
- Work with expert witnesses
- Demonstrate how your accident happened and why you deserve compensation
- Negotiate settlements when possible
- Prepare cases for trial when there is no better option
How do Lancaster Personal Injury Cases Work?
Personal injury cases may seem complicated and overwhelming, but we don’t want our clients to worry about it, that is why most of the work will be done by your lawyer. If you choose to hire one, here’s how your case might look:
- You are injured.
- You hire a lawyer to help you fight for compensation for your injuries.
- Your lawyer conducts investigations, speaks to witnesses, and gathers medical bills and accident reports. They also communicate with the at-fault party and their insurance company when needed.
- In some cases, your lawyer will combine the information they’ve collected into a demand package that explains to the other party why your injuries are worth what they are.
- The other party’s insurance company may take this opportunity to negotiate a settlement that is fair.
- If they don’t offer a fair settlement however, your only option may be to take the at-fault party to court to get the money you deserve.
- As your lawyer prepares your case they will begin the discovery process. During this time they’ll gather more evidence and exchange information with the other party’s lawyer. During this time, the other party or their insurance company can still settle if they wish.
- If a settlement hasn’t been reached and your day in court arrives, you and your lawyer will head down to the courthouse and sit before a judge and jury. They will hear your case and make a ruling on how much compensation you should receive.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
Everyone’s damages are different, but here are some of the most common things personal injury victims can claim compensation for:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Lancaster Personal Injury Claims
We know you probably have lots of questions about what the personal injury claims process looks like. In an effort to make getting started easier for you, we’ve put together this list of the most common questions the Lancaster personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are asked.
How do I file a personal injury claim in Lancaster, Ohio?
Hire a lawyer. This is the easiest and quickest way to get your case started. It’s essential you contact a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. In most cases you have two years to file a case, but in others the statute of limitations may be shorter; you need to contact a lawyer to find out what the statute of limitations is for your case.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Lancaster, Ohio?
We charge contingent fees, which means you don’t owe any attorney fees unless we are successful in helping you get the compensation you deserve.
How much compensation can I expect from a Lancaster, Ohio personal injury claim?
There is no way to know how much your case is worth until you meet with a personal injury lawyer and the full extent of your injuries are known. Once you hire an attorney, they can start an investigation, begin collecting your medical records and bills, contacting witnesses, and begin negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Do I have to go to court in Lancaster, Ohio to file a personal injury claim?
The vast majority of cases settle without having to go to court. However, sometimes the at-fault party’s insurance company (or even your own insurance company in some instances) refuse to do the right thing and offer you fair compensation – in those instances Colombo Law will have to file a lawsuit, conduct discovery, and, if necessary, try your case to a jury at court.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Lancaster, Ohio?
This varies based on a lot of factors. Some straight forward cases where you are able to make a quick and full recovery can be settled in months, other more complicated cases may take years to resolve.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
The answer to this question is almost always, NO. In fact, the best rule of thumb is to not communicate with insurance adjustors at all without your attorney present.
Local, Experienced, Lancaster, Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
Your rights are important. You didn’t deserve to be injured and you don’t deserve to suffer financially as a result. That’s why you should get in touch with the Lancaster personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law. We are here to help you get the compensation you deserve, whether you live in Lancaster or one of these nearby areas:
- Cedarlan Park
- Fairgrounds Park
- Heather Lake
- Independence Commons
- Olivedale Park
- Wacker Woods