Injured in an accident due to another person’s negligence? You may be able to get compensation for your injuries that can help ease your physical and financial suffering. If you or a loved one have suffered a personal injury, all you have to do to find out if you have a case is schedule a free consultation with the Heath, Ohio personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law.
Heath Personal Injury Case Types
Our attorneys work with all kinds of accident and injury victims, including those who have suffered:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer is someone who advocates for your rights after you’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence. They stand up against entities like large corporations and insurance companies who want to cheat you out of the compensation you deserve, and to do this they must:
- Gather evidence
- Find expert witnesses
- Prove negligence
- Negotiate settlements
- File lawsuits and argue cases in court
How do Heath Personal Injury Cases Work?
The personal injury claim process can be tricky; this is why they are best handled by a legal professional. That said, knowing how these cases generally work can give you some peace of mind about the whole thing and let you know what to expect as you go:
- Your case begins when a negligent person or company injures you.
- After this happens, your next step should be to find a personal injury lawyer ASAP because you can bet the insurance company for the at-fault party will immediately begin work to minimize your claim.
- After your initial consultation, a good personal injury lawyer will immediately begin investigating your claim, stockpiling evidence, and communicating with the at-fault party, their insurance company, and their lawyers.
- Once they have everything they need, your lawyer may put together a demand letter with details on the accident, your injuries, and your claim to compensation to share with the at-fault party’s lawyer or insurance provider.
- If they are wise, the other party will use this information to offer you a settlement that is fair.
- If they are stubborn or uncooperative, you may have to go to file a lawsuit to get the money you need to cope with your injuries and medical bills.
- As both parties’ lawyers enter the discovery phase, the other party will continue to have the opportunity to settle and avoid going to court.
- If those last attempts at settling don’t work, your day in court will come and a judge and/or jury will hear your case and decide how much compensation the at-fault party owes you.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may be able to receive monetary compensation for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Heath Personal Injury Claims
We are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding personal injury claims. That’s why we put together this list of our most commonly asked questions as Heath personal injury lawyers.
How do I file a personal injury claim in Heath, Ohio?
All you have to do is get in touch with the lawyers at Colombo law and we will handle the rest. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that this must be done quickly because, while most cases have a two-year statute of limitations, some have shorter ones that must be observed or your case could be thrown out.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Heath, Ohio?
Our consultations are free and our services are as well, right up until we help you get the money you deserve. If we don’t, you don’t owe us a penny. If we do, we typically charge one-third of the award for simple cases and a bit more for complicated ones.
How much compensation can I expect from a Heath, Ohio personal injury claim?
We aren’t able to predict how much your claim is worth before we sit down with you in an initial consultation to learn more about your case and injuries. But fortunately we offer free consultations, so it does not cost you anything to find out if you have a case.
Do I have to go to court in Heath, Ohio to file a personal injury claim?
Not always. Many cases can be settled out of court. It’s only those that can’t be that will require you and your attorney to go to trial. Even if a lawsuit is filed, many times cases will settle before trial.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Heath, Ohio?
There are a lot of steps to this process, so it’s hard to say how long the whole thing will take. Many cases last months whereas others can take years to wrap up.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
The answer to this question is almost always, absolutely NOT. If you do, there’s a good chance you’ll be accepting a far smaller settlement than you deserve. Instead, forward any phone calls you receive or settlements you are offered on to your lawyer.
Local, Experienced, Heath, Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
You and your family deserve peace after an accident, and you also deserve compensation to help you with injuries and medical bills that were not your fault. The Heath personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law have been helping victims for decades. We work with people all over Heath and in areas like:
- Blackhand Gorge
- Willow Ridge
- Forest Hills
- Fox Run
- Ramp Creek
- Franklin Township
- River Oaks