If a Fairmont car accident, truck accident, or personal injury has affected your quality of life, know that there is hope. The Fairmont, WV personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law have decades of experience helping injured victims get the compensation they deserve so they can get back to life as they knew it. Get the help you need now by scheduling a free consultation to find out if you have a personal injury case deserving of compensation.
Fairmont Personal Injury Practice Areas
The attorneys at Colombo Law specialize in all aspects of personal injury law and have helped the victims of:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Fairmont Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
As personal injury lawyers, it is our job to know the law and make sure that you are treated right and compensated fairly under it. To do this, we do things like:
- Gather evidence
- Work with expert witnesses
- Collect information on how your accident happened and why you deserve compensation
- Negotiate settlements when possible
- Prepare cases for court when all other options have been exhausted
How do Fairmont Personal Injury Cases Work?
The personal injury claim process can be a complicated one with many caveats to be explored. All personal injury cases are different, but most follow the same general timeline:
- You or a loved one are injured or killed in an accident
- You hire a Fairmont personal injury attorney to protect your right to compensation
- Your attorney gathers the evidence needed to demonstrate how much compensation you deserve to the at-fault party, their lawyers, and their insurers.
- They combine this information and use it to form a demand package that will contain the details of your accident, your injuries, and your demanded compensation to the at-fault party’s legal counsel.
- Both parties will then attempt to negotiate a settlement. Though most cases are settled out of court, sometimes an agreement simply cannot be reached.
- If this is the case, there is often no choice but to file a lawsuit, which will require your attorney to do additional work like collecting witness statements and paying court fees.
- The last step comes on the day of your trial, when a judge and jury will hear your case and give a final ruling on how much compensation you are owed.
In Fairmont Personal Injury Case, What Expenses can I be Compensated for?
Many personal injury victims are entitled to compensation for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Claims in Fairmont
We get a lot of questions regarding personal injury claims in Fairmont, WV. To help give you a better idea of how these cases work, check out some of our most frequently asked questions:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Fairmont, West Virginia?
You can start by contacting the Fairmont personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law. We will help you schedule an initial consultation where we will review your claim and let you know what the best course of action is.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Fairmont, West Virginia?
At Colombo Law, we don’t get paid until we help you win or successfully settle your case. At that time, we usually charge one-third of whatever compensation you receive.
How much compensation can I expect from a Fairmont, West Virginia personal injury claim?
There is no formula for figuring out how much money you’ll be awarded. This depends on the seriousness of your injuries and how much treatment you need.
That said, West Virginia’s comparative negligence rule can influence your settlement Under this law, you cannot claim damages if you were 50 percent or more at fault for an accident. You also cannot seek more damages than the at-fault party is responsible for. This rule is another reason personal injury cases in Fairmont, WV can be tricky and should be handled only with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney.
Do I have to go to court in Fairmont, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
No. You only have to go to court if the other party is unwilling to settle or unwilling to give you the compensation you deserve.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Fairmont, West Virginia?
It’s difficult to predict how long a case will take without knowing the details. Even then, there are variables beyond our control that can make a case last anywhere from several months to several years. The most important thing when starting a case like this is to make sure it’s filed within West Virginia’s two-year statute of limitations.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
No. Never take a settlement, sign any documents, or even talk to an insurance adjustor without consulting with or having your personal injury attorney present.
Local, Experienced, Fairmont, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
Not only are our personal injury lawyers kind, compassionate, and caring, we’re local West Virginians who are truly passionate about helping our neighbors. In an effort to do this, we work with clients all over Fairmont and in surrounding neighborhoods like:
- West End
- Gaston Junction
- Grant Town
- White Hall
- Valley Falls
- Garden Village
- Beverly Hills
- Mount Harmony
- Pleasant Valley
- Timber Ridge
At a time like this, it’s ok to ask for help. After all, that’s what our Fairmont personal injury lawyers are here for. Get the assistance you need by contacting us or giving us a call at 304-599-4229.