Next to the winding Tygart Valley River and sitting in the shadow of Monongahela National Forest, Elkins, West Virginia is a small city with a population of just 7,187 as of the last census.
Residents of Elkins have much to enjoy when it comes to the raw, natural beauty of West Virginia. Glendale Park offers scenic views of the river while the Fox Forest Wildlife Management Area leaves visitors in awe of the abundance of wildlife right outside of Elkins.
Elkins may not be very big, but it’s home to several of West Virginia’s most anticipated festivals. Held on the Davis and Elkins College campus, the Augusta Heritage Festival celebrates music and dance from a variety of genres, include Cajun, Irish, Bluegrass, and more. The Pickin in the Park and Randolph County International Ramp Cookoff and Festival are two other major events Elkins residents look forward to.
But perhaps the most famous event by far is the Mountain State Forest Festival. Known as the place to be seen in West Virginia each October, the Mountain State Forest Festival celebrates everything good about the culture, food, and people of Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
There are many good people in Elkins, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t make mistakes. Unfortunately, even the smallest mistake can lead to a car accident or truck accident that can cause innocent victims to lose their lives or suffer serious personal injuries.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Elkins, WV
Whether it was you or a loved one who was involved in one of the accidents above or hurt in some other way by another person’s negligence, you should know you don’t have to go through this alone. The Elkins personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are standing by to help you seek compensation for your injuries and damages. All you have to do is schedule a free consultation to find out if you have a case.
Elkins Personal Injury Service Areas
We provide personal injury services to victims suffering after:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury lawyers are advocates for people who have been injured in accidents caused by other people’s negligence or carelessness. They fight for the rights of these victims by:
- Gathering evidence
- Working with expert witnesses
- Collecting information that will clearly demonstrate negligence and hold the at-fault party responsible for the damages they caused
- Negotiating settlements with the at-fault party, their lawyers, and their insurance adjusters
- Taking cases to court when need be
How do Elkins Personal Injury Cases Work?
Every single personal injury case is different. The way they are handled depends on the extent of your damages and how cooperative the at-faulty party and their legal counsel are. Generally, personal injury cases go something like this:
- You suffer an injury as a result of someone else’s negligence.
- You find a personal injury lawyer you are comfortable with and schedule a consultation.
- Your lawyer begins the process of investigating your accident, gathering evidence, and tracking down medical records, as well as dealing with the at-fault party’s representatives.
- Your attorney uses their findings to write a demand letter outlining the details of your accident and breaking down what they believe you deserve in terms of compensation.
- Your lawyer then tries to negotiate a fair settlement with the at-fault party or their lawyer or their insurance adjuster.
- If the settlement process fails to be successful, your Elkins personal injury lawyer will gather more information, like witnesses statements, to further strengthen your case and prepare it for court.
- The last step is the actual trial, where you will attend with your attorney as they argue for your right to compensation. A judge and jury will listen to the case and make a ruling regarding how much money you should receive.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
There is no way to know exactly what damages you can recover without scheduling an initial consultation regarding your case. In many cases however, personal injury victims often ask for compensation for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Elkins Personal Injury Claims
Most people have questions when it comes to personal injury cases, and while some are unique to their specific claims, some are more general, like:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Elkins, West Virginia?
To start your claim, all you have to do is contact the Elkins personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law. We will ask you for certain information regarding your case and will work toward filling it inside of West Virginia’s two-year statute of limitations.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Elkins, West Virginia?
Initially you don’t pay anything. Our consultations are free and our services are on a contingency fee basis, so you pay us one-third of your damages if we win or successfully settle your case. If not, you don’t owe us anything.
How much compensation can I expect from an Elkins, West Virginia personal injury claim?
In short, you can’t expect a specific amount. In West Virginia, the compensation you receive can vary depending on your fault in the accident. Under the modified comparative negligence rule, you are eligible to receive damages as long as you are 50 percent or less at fault for the accident. Likewise, the at-fault party only has to pay for the percentage of damages they are assigned fault for.
Do I have to go to court in Elkins, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
Probably not. Most of these cases can be settled without the need to go to court. However, if a settlement cannot be negotiated, you will find yourself considering the option of taking your case before a judge and jury.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Elkins, West Virginia?
The simple answer is, there is no way of predicting how long a case will last. Simple cases may be settled relatively quickly whereas more complex ones can take years to wrap up.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
Absolutely not. More likely than not, they are low-balling you and offering much less than you deserve. Do not talk to insurance adjustors, entertain offers, or sign paperwork regarding your case without talking to your lawyer first.
Local, Experienced, Elkins, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
If you live in Elkins, WV and are suffering after an accident or injury, don’t hesitate to ask for help. Our Elkins personal injury lawyers are passionate about helping injured victims and work with local residents of Elkins and surrounding neighborhoods like:
- City Center
- Mill Creek
- Dry Fork
- Elkins Junction
There’s no need to handle this situation alone. Let us put your burden on our shoulders, so you can focus on healing from your injuries. Contact us or give us a call at 304-599-4229 so we can get started.