Accidents happen all the time, and often without warning. If you live in Clarksburg, WV and you have been hurt in a car accident, truck accident, or any accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. Contact the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law for a FREE case review.
Clarksburg Personal Injury Practice Areas
Our personal injury services extend to help the victims of:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
How Personal Injury Lawyers Help You
Personal injury lawyers fight for you – the victim – after you’ve been injured through no fault of your own. To do this, we must put our resources into:
- Collecting evidence
- Soliciting the help of expert witnesses
- Proving negligence
- Negotiating settlements when possible
- Preparing court cases where settlements aren’t possible
How do Clarksburg Personal Injury Cases Work?
All personal injury cases are different but most do follow the same general timeline. You can most likely expect your case to look something like this:
- You suffer a personal injury in an accident caused by a negligent individual or company.
- You realize that getting the compensation you deserve could be complicated, and decide to work with a Clarksburg personal injury lawyer.
- Your lawyer begins their work, starts an investigation, and handles all conversations with the at-fault party and their representatives.
- Your attorney compiles a demand package to send to the at-fault party’s lawyer. This package will have all the details of your accident and injuries as well as a written request for compensation.
- Now both parties’ lawyers can try to negotiate a settlement that makes sure you’re compensated fairly. If this goes well and an agreement can be reached, your case will be over soon.
- If negotiations aren’t successful, your lawyer will prepare to file a lawsuit, pay court fees, and complete more paperwork.
- The last step is when everyone has to show up for court. Your suit will be heard by a judge and jury who will consider all the variables and make a decision regarding how much compensation they think you deserve.
What Expenses Can I Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Claim?
This really depends on what kind of injuries and damages you’ve suffered, but most personal injury victims are eligible to receive compensation for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Clarksburg Personal Injury Claims
This is a challenging time that involves a lot of pain, suffering, and uncertainty. In an effort to help you understand this process better, we’ve pulled together a list of questions that can help you better understand how personal injury cases work:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Clarksburg, West Virginia?
Contact a Clarksburg personal injury attorney ASAP. Doing so will allow the lawyers at Colombo Law to investigate your claim, file it within the two-year statute of limitations, and help you get the compensation you deserve.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Clarksburg, West Virginia?
That depends on your settlement or the damages you are awarded. We charge on a contingency fee basis, so you pay us one-third of the damages we help you receive.
How much compensation can I expect from a Clarksburg, West Virginia personal injury claim?
Unfortunately, we can’t really tell you how much money you can expect to get, What we can tell you is that we will fight to see you compensated fairly and that most personal injury cases end with the victims receiving enough money to cover their damages and medical bills.
One thing to note however, is that your compensation can be altered by West Virginia’s modified comparative negligence rule. This rule means that if you are 50 percent or more at fault for an accident, you cannot be compensated. It also means that the at-fault party is only responsible for paying damages equal to the percentage of fault they are assigned.
Do I have to go to court in Clarksburg, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
Probably not. Most of the time we are able to reach a successful settlement with the at-fault party before going to court. That said, sometimes going to court is the only or best option.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Clarksburg, West Virginia?
This is a tough question to answer, as some personal injury cases take months and others take many years.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
Never take the first settlement you’re offered. Instead, consult with your attorney before talking settlements, signing documents, or speaking to insurance adjustors to make sure your rights are protected.
Local, Experienced, Clarksburg, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
The personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law are ready and waiting to help injured victims in Clarksburg get the money they need to get better. We also work with clients in nearby areas like:
- Wolf Summit
- Adamston / Edgewood
- Glen Elk / Montpelier
- North View
- Broad Oaks
- City Center
- Broad Oaks
- East View
- Gregory Run
- West Milford
- Nutter Fort
- North View
Do the right thing for you and your family by seeking compensation after an accident or injury. Contact the Clarksburg personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law or call us at 304-599-4229 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation.