If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of another person’s negligence, the best way to receive maximum compensation for your loss is to hire an attorney. Call the personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law for a FREE case evaluation.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Buckhannon, WV
Maybe you or a loved one have been in a car accident, truck accident, a work-related accident. Or maybe you’ve suffered some other kind of personal injury that has affected your finances and your ability to work or enjoy life. Regardless of what happened, the Buckhannon personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law may be able to help you seek compensation for your damages. By offering free consultations, we make it easy for you to find out if you have a personal injury case and get started with filing a claim.
Buckhannon Personal Injury Practice Areas
Our attorneys have experience in many different areas of personal injury law and have worked with clients who have been involved in:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
Personal Injury Lawyers Help Accident Victims
Personal injury lawyers are professionals who are passionate about the law and believe in fighting to see that accident or injury victims get the compensation they deserve from those legally responsible for their injuries. They do this by:
- Collecting evidence
- Working with accident and injury experts who can strengthen your case
- Gathering proof of the at-fault party’s negligence and holding them accountable for what they’ve done to you
- Negotiating settlements when possible
- Walking you through the process of taking a case to court (if required)
How do Buckhannon Personal Injury Cases Work?
No two lawsuits are the same. Some are relatively quick and easy, whereas others can become complicated and length. In general though, personal injury lawsuits usually involve the below steps:
- You are in an accident where you are injured
- You realize that you need help getting the compensation you deserve, and you hire a personal injury lawyer
- After an initial consultation, your attorney gets to work gathering evidence, investigating the cause of your accident, and speaking to the at-fault party’s lawyers and insurers.
- Your lawyer uses their findings to write a demand letter detailing everything about the accident, your injuries, and your expenses.
- After the at-fault party’s lawyer has had a chance to review the demand letter, both parties’ attorneys will set down and attempt to negotiate a settlement. If one is reached, your case ends here.
- If a settlement is not reached, it will be time for your attorney to begin preparing for court by completing the necessary paperwork, paying court fees, and collecting statements from on-scene and expert witnesses.
- The last step is going to court, where a judge and jury will hear your case and make a ruling regarding how much compensation you should be paid.
What Can I Get Money for in a Personal Injury Case?
This depends on how and where your injury occurred and how your life has been affected as a result. Personal injury victims can often be compensated for things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Buckhannon Personal Injury Claims
The personal injury claim process brings with it lots of uncertainty and doubt, along with many questions. Though the process itself has been explained above, you may still be wondering:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Buckhannon, West Virginia?
Step one: hire the Buckhannon personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law. Step two: let them handle the rest, like proving the other party’s fault, gathering evidence, and filing your claim before West Virginia’s two-year statute of limitations runs out.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Buckhannon, West Virginia?
There are not set costs for our services because Colombo law charges on a contingency fee basis. That means if we don’t help you get the compensation you deserve, you don’t owe us anything and, if we do, we charge one-third of your award.
How much compensation can I expect from a Buckhannon, West Virginia personal injury claim?
We can’t tell you how much money you could receive until we’ve had a chance to sit down and review every detail about your accident, medical expenses, and injuries. Although every claim is different, most personal injury cases result in the injured victim getting enough money to cover the costs they’ve incurred as a result of the accident.
However, it’s worth noting that West Virginia uses a comparative negligence rule when it comes to determining how much money someone is entitled to. Under this rule, you can only be compensated if your fault in the accident was 50 percent or less. This rule also means that other parties are only responsible for the percentage of damage they are at fault for. Modified comparative negligence can greatly affect your compensation amount and is another good reason to work with a personal injury lawyer to determine how to best handle your case.
Do I have to go to court in Buckhannon, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
In many cases, personal injury claims can be settled before ever going to court. If the settlement process isn’t successful then, yes, you will have to go to court.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Buckhannon, West Virginia?
It’s hard to say. Some cases are over in a matter of months whereas others take years. Hiring a Buckhannon personal injury lawyer, instead of handling your case yourself, means your claim can be handled by professionals who have the time and resources needed to increase your chances of a successful outcome.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I accept it?
Never accept a settlement or sign anything from the at-fault party’s insurance company without talking to a lawyer first. The first settlement you’re offered is often lower than you deserve, and insurance companies have a history of tricking you into signing documents that could nullify your case.
Local, Experienced, Buckhannon, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you’re already dealing with physical pain, emotional anguish, and insurmountable medical costs. You don’t need to suffer through an exhausting legal process on your own as well. Instead, get help getting the compensation you deserve by contacting the Buckhannon, WV personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law. We serve victims throughout the Buckhannon area, including places like:
- City Center
- West Virginia Wesleyan College
- Sand Run
- Swamp Run
- French Creek
- Rock Cave
Whether you are worried about your financial future after an accident, are ready to file a personal injury claim, or just have questions you’d like to ask a Buckhannon personal injury lawyer, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 304-599-4229 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation.