If you or a loved one have been hurt in a car accident, truck accident, or a work-related accident, you should know that the Bridgeport personal injury lawyers at Colombo Law are standing by to help. Our goal is to see to it that you’re treated fairly by the at-fault party and their insurance company, so that you can get the compensation your family needs to heal and move on.
Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Bridgeport, WV
Finding out if you have a case is simple; all you have to do is contact us or call 304-599-4229 to schedule your free consultation.
Bridgeport Personal Injury Practice Areas
As personal injury lawyers, we work with the victims of:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injuries
- Natural Gas Injuries
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Birth Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Injuries
- Personal Injuries
- Premises Liability Injuries
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer do to Help?
Personal injury lawyers specialize in helping people who have been injured in accidents get the compensation they need to cope with their damages. This is not a small undertaking, and personal injury attorneys accomplish their job by doing things like:
- Gathering evidence
- Finding experts that can back up your claim for compensation
- Proving the at-fault party’s negligence and responsibility for the accident
- Negotiating settlements with insurance companies
- Taking your case to court if needed
How do Bridgeport Personal Injury Claims Work?
Not all lawsuits or personal injury claims will follow the same path. Each depends on the details of the accident, who is involved, and how willing those people are to compensate you fairly. In general however, you can expect a case to look something like this:
- You are injured by someone else’s negligence.
- You seek the help of a Bridgeport personal injury lawyer.
- Your lawyer begins an investigation of the accident and collects things like evidence, police reports, and your medical records while communicating with the at-fault party and their representatives.
- Once they have all the information they need to determine how much compensation you deserve, your attorney will write a demand letter. This letter will provide the at-fault party’s lawyer with details on the accident, your injuries, and your claim to compensation.
- If a settlement can be reached, this is the point where it will be done. Many personal injury cases are settled out of court, ending the process here.
- Unfortunately, if the other party isn’t willing to pay what you deserve in a settlement, your case will have to go to court. If this is the case, there is additional work that must be done, including filing paperwork, paying court fees, and getting witness statements.
- After all this is said and done, your case is ready for trial. A judge and jury will hear both sides of the story and decide how much compensation you will receive.
What Can I be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Case?
Without knowing the details of your case, it is difficult to say exactly what you can or will be compensated for. Many personal injury victims are able to receive money for:
- Current and future medical care
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Lost of wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Emotional/mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Wrongful death
Frequently Asked Questions in Bridgeport Personal Injury Claims
If you’ve never gone through the process of filing a personal injury claim, you probably have some questions, like:
How do I file a personal injury claim in Bridgeport, West Virginia?
Handling this kind of case yourself can be tricky, so the easiest way to file a personal injury claim is by hiring the attorneys at Colombo Law. Our team has all the experience needed to prove negligence, collect information to bolster your claim, determine how much compensation you need, and file within our state’s two-year statute of limitations.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer in Bridgeport, West Virginia?
We charge for our legal services on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t pay anything unless we help you get compensation. In most cases, if we’re successful, we charge one-third of the money you receive.
How much compensation can I expect from a Bridgeport, West Virginia personal injury claim?
This is impossible to say until we have the chance to review the details of your case, your injuries, and your total medical expenses. In most cases, West Virginia personal injury claims often end with the victim receiving enough compensation to cover the costs they’ve incurred.
However, you need to understand our state’s comparative negligence rule. This law states that an accident victim can receive damages only if they are 50 percent or less at fault for the accident. Likewise, the at-fault party is only responsible for the percentage of damages they caused. The comparative negligence rule can seriously impact your right to compensation, which is why it’s a good idea to speak to a Bridgeport personal injury attorney to find out if you have a case.
Do I have to go to court in Bridgeport, West Virginia to file a personal injury claim?
Not necessarily. There is always an option to attempt to negotiate a settlement in your favor before your case has to go to court.
How long does the personal injury claim process take in Bridgeport, West Virginia?
It’s hard to say. Personal injury cases can last anywhere from several months to several years, depending on the circumstances. Because this can be a time-consuming process, it is critical you speak to a lawyer and ensure your case is filed within the statute of limitations so you don’t miss out on your right to compensation.
The at-fault party’s insurance company offered me a settlement. Should I take it?
The rule of thumb is to never accept the first settlement you’re offered. In fact, you shouldn’t accept any settlement or sign any paperwork without speaking to a lawyer first, as you could agree to something that could compromise your case.
Local, Experienced, Bridgeport, West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one is struggling after being injured in an accident, don’t be afraid to ask for help. You didn’t ask to be hurt, and you may not have a way to cope with those expenses. Filing a personal injury claim is your right, as is receiving compensation for your injuries and damages.
As a personal injury law firm, Colombo Law has helped victims throughout Bridgeport, WV and surrounding areas, like:
- Lost Creek
- Mount Clare
- Nutter Fort
- Pleasant Valley
Talk to the personal injury attorneys at Colombo Law to find out how we may be able to help you and your family get the compensation you need to move on after an accident. Call us to get started, at 304-599-4229